21-Year-Old Indian Student Shot Dead At Subway Station In Canada


Toronto/ New Delhi: A 21-year old Indian student from Ghaziabad was killed after sustaining multiple gunshot wounds following a shooting at the entrance of a subway station in Canada’s Toronto city while he was on his way to work, according to police in Toronto.

The victim, identified as Kartik Vasudev, was shot on Thursday evening at the Glen Road entrance to Sherbourne TTC station in St James Town.

 A relative scrolling through the news recognised Kartik’s bag and broke the news to the family.

As per reports, Kartik died due to multiple gunshot wounds outside Sherbourne station. The family was able to confirm the death on Friday afternoon but is unaware of the motive.

Jitesh Vasudev, his father, said: “We last spoke to Kartik on Thursday and he told us he was heading to work. He was a student but worked part-time at a Mexican restaurant. For several hours, his phone was switched off. His cousin, whom he stayed with, grew worried and informed the police. News flashed that a shooting had taken place and it was then that she realised Kartik is no more.”

Kartik was pursuing global management from Toronto-based Seneca University and was in his first year. He had shifted to Canada in January and was staying in an apartment he shared with his cousin.

Shortly after joining college, he found a job at a restaurant in the Downtown area. Every day, Kartik would take the same route using the subway and bus to reach his office.

“His cousin informed police that he had gone missing. Kartik’s employer also called her up and said he had not come to work. Both were discussing the situation when they came to know of the shooting and recognised it was him from the pictures,” Jitesh, who works at HCL, said.

Kartik did his schooling from DAV, Ghaziabad, and had decided in Class X that he would study in Canada, his father said.

Vasudev received medical attention from an off-duty paramedic and was taken to a hospital where he died during treatment, the Toronto Police Service said in a statement.

The homicide squad of the Toronto Police Service has taken over the investigation.

Investigators would like to speak to any witnesses that were in the area at the time, as well as any drivers or businesses that have camera footage, the police said.

“We are shocked & distressed at the unfortunate killing of Indian student Kartik Vasudev in a shooting incident in Toronto yesterday,” the Consulate General of India wrote in a statement posted on Twitter on Friday.

“We are in touch with the family and will provide all possible assistance in the early repatriation of mortal remains,” it said.

External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar expressed grief at the killing.

“Grieved by this tragic incident. Deepest condolences to the family,” Jaishankar tweeted.

Vasudev’s brother told CP24 news channel he was a student at Seneca College and was taking the subway to his part-time job when he was killed.

He arrived in Canada in January.

Seneca College said Vasudev was enrolled in its marketing management programme.

“The Seneca community is saddened to hear of the tragic death of Kartik Vasudev, a first-semester Marketing Management student,” a spokesperson said in a statement.

“Our thoughts are with Mr Vasudev’s family, friends and classmates. Counselling support is being made available to students and employees.” Police said the suspect in the shooting is a Black male standing five-foot-six to five-foot-seven inches tall with a medium build.

He was last seen carrying a handgun walking south on Glen Road toward Howard Street, according to the news channel.

As family members tried to make sense of the crime, they recalled Kartik’s soft-spoken nature. “He never even raised a voice. At this point, we do not know what happened. We are told he was the only casualty. My boy had reached his dream destination just three months ago. We are unable to process this… I do not know who would do this to him,” said Jitesh, as a relative hugged him.

Kartik is survived by his parents and his younger brother. The family has been informed by the Indian Embassy in Canada that the process of bringing back his body will take another six days.